We have had lots going on this week at the Summers' house, but unfortunately, I don't have many photographs to share. I'll try harder on that, Grandparents! For now, here is this week in bullets:
- I can't remember what happened Monday, so let's start with Tuesday...
- Tuesday, Jake and I woke up and headed downtown to my OB's office for a quick visit. While we were in the area, we decided to pay a little visit to Tyson's office; unfortunately, Tyson was in a meeting, so Jake and I had to find a way to kill some time. We'll just play on the football fields...
- We get to the practice fields, but they are locked. Easy...we'll just "jump" the fence. Ok, easier said than done when you're 7 months pregnant, but we both made it over without breaking my water. I'm sure we were quite the site to see on University Blvd!
- We played on the practice field for about an hour and decided it was time to head in. At this point, however, I wasn't feeling as well I was when I originally jumped the fence, so I sent Tyson a desperate plea for help. He can't leave the meeting.
- I spot one of the new GA's (graduate assistant) and ask for help jumping back over the fence; he looked at me like I was crazy. I asked him to just help Jake over and then turn his head so he couldn't see me and my big pregnant-self jump the fence. We both made it over safely, but it wasn't pretty by any means!
- As we walk into the office, I tell Jake he has to be quiet because Daddy is in a meeting...he enters the front door and yells "DADDY!!!!" at the top of his lungs. He then precedes to run as fast as he can toward our head coaches' office.
- I eventually catch up with my quick child and find him stealing candy from Coach Callaway's personal stash...nice. We bolt before anyone notices.
- We decided to hide out in Tyson's office while the meeting wraps up. At this point, I'm exhausted and doing everything in my power to rest as much as I can (or as much as a 2 year old will let you) so Walker doesn't make an early entrance. I know...shouldn't have jumped that fence!
- While I'm "resting," Jake precedes to draw all over Tyson's walls in red marker, draw all over Tyson's recruiting paper work, and then he destroys some poor high school players recruiting DVD. Tyson's office looked like a tornado had just been through it! Again, we bolt before anyone notices.
- Tuesday afternoon ended up being a beautiful, so after the little tornado awoke from his nap, we played outside for a while. Jake has finally grasped the concept of riding his trike and scooter, so we did that for a while. I wish I had had my camera, Jake was so cute riding his trike!
- Wednesday=SIGNING DAY! Jake went to school on Wednesday and missed out on the festivities, but after I went to the dermatologist that morning, I joined Tyson and the rest of the UAB staff and their families for our annual Signing Day lunch. It was so much fun...again, no pictures.
- Did I mention that I went to the dermatologist? I had this mole cut out on my head, which I was very excited about until after the procedure when they drop the bomb...no pain meds except Tylenol because I'm pregnant. I walked around all day with a splitting headache!
- Signing Day is capped off with a Social that night to announce our new signees; for the first time in 4 years, I wasn't able to go. It's just getting to hard to keep up with Jake all by myself being this big and pregnant, so I made the tough call not to go. Tyson said it was the best yet- big crowd and lots of excited fans! Yay! Go Blazers! And like last year but unlike the year before that, Tyson said his speech went well! :)
- And that brings us to today...oh yeah, I skipped Sunday. As you know from my previous post, we went to the circus on Sunday. I don't think I mentioned, though, that I worked Saturday night, so Tyson had Jake for most of Sunday while I slept. I also haven't mentioned that poor Tyson has had to drag poor Jake to all the recruiting events for the past few weekends while I worked...that's a whole 'nother post in itself. But here is a cute story...Coach Callaway called a staff meeting on Sunday morning, so Tyson lined up a babysitter to watch Jake during the meeting. Well, the meeting got pushed up at the last minute, so Coach Callaway told Tyson to just bring Jake in the meeting. Umm, I haven't been in this business long, but there are parts of college football that are kid-friendly and parts that aren't (ie. staff meetings). Tyson didn't have any other choice, so Jake attended the staff meeting. Things went well for the most part except when Jake decided he wanted to sit in Coach Callaway's lap and DRAW ALL OVER HIS PAPERWORK! Tyson said he almost died, but Coach Callaway was really good about it all. :)
- So Tyson has today and tomorrow off, and we have lots planned for his time off. We took Jake to school today (Thursday) and got a lot accomplished in a short period of time. We are turning Jake's room into his big boy room, moving the guest room furniture to our bonus room, and turning the guest room into the nursery. Trust me, I'm not doing much of anything but telling Tyson what to do, which is what I'm really good at. :)
- One thing that we got accomplished is that we got Jake's big boy bed put together, which leads to another story...
Tyson and I had agreed that we would put Jake's big boy bed up but still leave his crib in his room until we decide "it's time." We've got a lot going on the next couple of days (including more working for me), so right now isn't the best time for this new adventure. Well, we picked Jake up from school and brought him in for his nap, and wouldn't you know that Jake insisted on sleeping in the bed for his nap. I wasn't prepared at all, but he kept climbing out of the crib whenever I would put him in there. (Up until now, Jake has just threatened us with climbing out by throwing a leg over the side or something, but he never physically climbed out...until now.) So I had no choice but to let him try the big boy bed.
He was so excited when I put him in it, that he couldn't stop smiling. I tucked him in, took my chances, and walked out of the room. Soon after, Jake followed me right out of the room. It took 2 more times of him gettin' up and opening the door before I called for reinforcement...the child safety lock door knob. It worked like a charm. He definitely talked for a little while, but he didn't get out of bed after that. He slept for about an hour (which is normal for a school day), and then he yelled "Mama, wake up!" :) So proud of my big boy...we'll see how it goes tonight!



2 comments:
we kept the child safety lock on J's door for over a year until he 'got it'. some say it's cruel but it truly was for his safety! and my sanity! he started climbing out of the crib at 20 months so we had no choice but to move him. many nights he fell asleep on the floor and we'd just put him back in. but all in all the transition was quite simple. good luck! big step! but now you can use that crib for the other little guy!
so you mentioned the year before last and i had to go back to the beginning... you've been blogging a long time. thats great, wow! but i looked back to reminisce... :) you put that baby in a bumble bee suit with wings, ha! its so cute! that was a sharp reminder of how time flies!! it sure does make me wish we were closer so i wasnt watching life pass through pictures, you know...
miss you!
Post a Comment