When the boys awoke from their naps on Monday, we found that a little elf had made it's way all the way from the North Pole to our house! Santa Claus sent this little elf with a cute little book called "Elf on the Shelf" and strict instructions: no touching the elf, the elf can't talk back to you, but more importantly, the elf watches you all day long and flies back to the North Pole at night and tells Santa Claus whether you have been naughty or nice. Oh, and you get to name the elf, and that is the elf's name FOREVER! Needless to say, I was a little worried what my almost 3 year old would name this elf that would be it's name FOREVER!
At first, Jake wanted to name the elf "Santa Claus," but I told him Santa is the elf's boss, and Santa might not like that we named the elf "Santa Claus." So, it didn't take Jake long to think of the name "Thomas"...after his favorite blue engine. :) I thought it was perfect, so "Thomas" it is!
The first day Thomas was here, Jake was perfect! Don't get me wrong, I think he was creeped out for a second that this thing was constantly watching him, but he quickly caught on to the whole "naughty or nice" thing and totally played the part. By day 2, though, he was over trying to be nice just to impress the elf. In fact, Jake had a hard time minding me yesterday (Tuesday), and he had no problems running up to Thomas and saying, "I'm not minding my Mama. Can you tell Santa Claus that when you see him tonight?" Geez! So this whole elf idea has pretty much turned into Jake's way of tattling on himself or praising himself. We'll just have to see what Santa Claus thinks about that! ;)



2 comments:
A friend of mine has an elf that reports back to Santa and then Santa sends short notes about behavior. Could be a praise or a note about mis-behavior! May be a cute idea for little ones!
I wonder if this would work for 11 year olds??? :)
Post a Comment