With football season winding down, Thanksgiving Day at the Summers' house isn't your typical Thanksgiving. Our first year at UAB, our head coach had Thanksgiving catered for the players and the coaches' families. I really enjoyed that Thanksgiving (especially since I didn't have to cook at ALL), but we've never had it catered again for some reason. Last year, my sister got married the weekend after Thanksgiving, so we ate at our Offensive Coordinator's house and then Jake and I took off for the wedding. Well this year, I decided it was finally time for me to cook Thanksgiving for my family.
Yes, I am almost 30 years old and have never cooked a Thanksgiving meal by myself; luckily, I've watched my mom and helped her however I could. I just had no idea how to prepare it ALL...man it is so much harder than it looks! I survived, though, and I think it turned out to be a success! I made sweet potato souffle, dressing, a vegetable casserole, cream corn, and rolls; I totally cheated, though, and bought some pecan and pumpkin pies and a ham (I'm not a big turkey fan). I guess I haven't quite mastered making the WHOLE meal, but it's close enough!
So for our Thanksgiving meal, we had over 3 of Tyson's linebackers and 3 of Tyson's graduate assistants who lived too far to travel home for the day. Those boys usually eat a TON, as you can imagine, but they were going to another coach's house for supper, so they ate pretty lightly. Well, that or they just didn't want to hurt my feelings and tell me my food was bad. Ha! We had a great day (but definitely missed our families), and I think we may have started a new Summers' Thanksgiving tradition. I hope everyone has a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:
Post a Comment