Walker had his appointment this morning with the pediatric ophthalmologist here at UAB. First of all, let me just say how lucky we are to live in place where we have access to such fantastic medical care. Walker's doctor was amazing! God definitely put us at UAB for a reason!
On to the important stuff: Walker's unequal pupils. Fortunately, Walker suffers from physiological anisocoria, and it is completely benign! Praise the Lord! So basically, nothing is wrong; he is just gonna have 2 different size pupils in certain lighting. The ophthalmologist said Walker's pupil variation wasn't even that bad and she was surprised that I could even pick up on it.
Unfortunately, though, Walker's eye exam revealed that he is "already pretty nearsighted"...at 4 months!!! You see, she used cocaine eye drops to dilate his eyes to test for this specific syndrome associated with anisocoria (which he doesn't have), and while his eyes were dilated, she said she would just take a look. As soon as she said the first "ooh," my heart sank. It was pretty hard for me to recover after that, but I believe she said his right eye, which is the one that has a problem dilating, was a -2.25 and his left eye was a -0.025. Now, I've never had a problem with my vision in my life and have perfect eye sight, so I'm not sure how these numbers compare. All I know is that she said Walker will probably need glasses in the next year or so. :( We are going to go back in about 9 months to have his vision tested again, so we'll know more then. She reassured me not to worry (yeah right!) that his eyes might not really be that bad- it could have just been that they were trying to accommodate from the cocaine.
I would be lieing if I said I'm not at all worried about Walker having to wear glasses at such a young age...no mom wants her child to be picked on and y'all know how mean kids can be. Who knows, though, Walker with glasses might be even cuter than that kid from Jerry Maguire!



2 comments:
Kids with glasses are precious! I haven't heard any little ones getting picked on about their glasses the last few years...so no worries! Love you and miss you! Sorry I keep missing you. We have been super busy with school starting for Kara last week and I started today (the kids came today). Dan is good too! Talk soon!
Jerry Mcguire... interesting analogy :) ha, you know I love you! He's so precious and I want to squeeze those precious little feet. When do I get to see you again?
Post a Comment