Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Hoof-n-Mouth"



What a long week! Thursday, our four month old laptop crashed thanks to a virus sent to me from my preacher. Friday, my mom came to town to keep Jake while I worked and while Tyson went to Presbyterian College for an alumni Football game. That's when things started going downhill.

I got home from work Saturday morning to find my poor mama worn out! Don't get me wrong, by that point, I had been awake for 24 hours, so I was pretty exhausted, too. I could tell immediately something was wrong with Jake. He had been awake since 4:30 am and was fussy and irritable; not to mention, he had a fever. All the signs pointed towards ear infection, so I called his pediatrician as soon as they opened and took him in. It wasn't an ear infection like I thought...it was hand, foot, and mouth disease! (If you don't know what that is, you don't want to know...it is disgusting!) Jake had a really bad case; ulcers completely covered the back of his throat.


We got home from the pediatrician's office and I tried to lay down for a couple of hours (now going on 28 hours with no sleep) while Mom watched Jake. Sadly, though, I could hear Jake through my ear plugs just crying in pain. He was pitiful; he was inconsolable, wouldn't eat or drink, and couldn't sleep. And things have been that way ever since...no joke. Saturday night, he was up every hour crying, and Sunday and Monday night he was up every two hours crying. I am exhausted. My mom left Sunday and so did Tyson (and our BFF neighbors), so I have been all by myself....sleep deprived, with a sick baby, and no internet.


Jake did start playing today and has started to act like his normal self. He still isn't eating but he has finally started drinking. I don't know why his sleep is still affected as badly as it is; this is the worst I have ever seen Jake in pain...even more so than after his surgery! I feel so bad for my poor little fellow. This "hoof-n-mouth" (as my mom refers to it:) is really wearing him down...and me too. :( Maybe we're on the up-swing now, though.

3 comments:

ECi 717 said...

Hey Girl!
Been there, done that...I want to know who came up with Hoof N Mouth..so disgusting...I hope he feels better soon!

pcb said...

Uh, this wouldn't be related to the diaper diving incident, would it?

The Hudgins said...

beth, jordan had that awhile back and we were all miserable! just as you described. up every hour in the night crying. i think jax was about 2 months old then and was up every few hours two. i was alternating between rooms and felt like a ZOMBIE! glad he's all better!