Pre-surgery silliness
Sorry to keep y'all in suspense about how Jake's surgery went; Tyson is working late these next few days so I'm letting Jake sleep with me, and he won't let me leave his side to do anything! Thank goodness that my mom is here to help with Walker or I don't know what I'd do!
Jake did GREAT today! Well, I say that...he did have a few meltdowns, but for reasons other than the surgery. First, he THREW DOWN as the tech was taking his vital signs; I think he is still traumatized from getting that shot at his 3 year appointment and doesn't trust medical personnel. :( And then, it was time for us to walk him down the hall to the OR; well, I failed to go over that part with him because in the book "Goodbye Tonsils," the little girl's parents got to go into the OR with her. Poor Jake did NOT like being taken from his mama's arms and handed over to another untrusted nurse. He kicked and screamed "MAMA!" all the way down the hall. It broke my heart! I pray he doesn't remember this and hold it against me for the rest of my life!
The surgery went quickly and the doctor said Jake did fine; Dr. Wiatrak did end up taking Jake's adenoids because they were also enlarged. Jake was back in the room with us about 45 minutes after he left us, and when they rolled him up, he was clutching Barney, sucking his thumb, and snoozing like a baby. The funny part was that you couldn't see his little face, though...all you could see was a bundle underneath tons of blankets. The nurse said he insisted on covering his face up (which is how he sleeps). :) He stayed asleep for a little while and then he started waking up as the nurse assessed him. Unfortunately, it was at that point that he discovered he had an IV in his foot and meltdown #3 happened. It took a little while to calm him down and convince him to leave his IV alone, but he eventually calmed down.
Anyways, once Jake woke up, he downed 2 cups of Sprite, kept it down, and then we were out the door. He has done awesome since being home and hasn't complained once! I just hope days 2 and 3 go this well, and then it's all downhill from there...I hope!
It's hard to believe that this is Jake's 2nd surgery in his 3 short years of life. Click here to read about his first surgery and the day after. Jake is definitely one tough little boy! I just hope this is the last surgery for a LONG time!
Thank you for all your prayers, texts, messages, emails, phone calls, etc. Tyson and I are overwhelmed at the support. It's going to be a busy next few days if Jake continues to be this clingy, but I'll try to update the blog as I get a chance. Happy Signing Day tomorrow to all of our football friends! Go Blazers!



2 comments:
Of course I cringed while reading this! Poor boy... Where was child life?! ;)
Ugh. Didn't realize I was logged in as my husband... This is Abby if you're confused! :)
Post a Comment