Let me just be honest here, Tyson and I are not big soccer fans. I'm still not sure why he isn't, but speaking for myself, it was just one sport I never grew up playing and I honestly have no clue how it works. I do know you aren't supposed to use your hands and that's about it. Well anyways, Tyson and I agreed to let our boys play if they were interested, and low and behold, Jake has shown interest in soccer. And according to Tyson (who apparently knows more than I do and even took a coaching class on soccer in college), Jake's pretty good at it...especially dribbling the ball.
Well this year, Jake's school started offering soccer classes once a week for 8 weeks; however, the class is for 3-5 year olds...and Jake doesn't turn 3 til January. Long story short, Jake said he wanted to play so we signed him up; he's the only 2 year old in the class, though, and is a good foot shorter than everyone else! Well, I went a little early to pick Jake up last week so I could watch some of his first soccer class, and he was awful! I don't know if it's because he is a good year younger than the other kids, but it literally took him 4 times to ring the goal whereas it took the other kids 1 or 2 times. I felt so bad for the kid! I will say this, though, he never gave up and just kept on trying and I was so proud of him for that!
Anyways, I went to Target this week and got him a goal and a new soccer ball to practice with at home, and I'll have you know that we practiced the same drill as I saw him doing at practice, and he can now ring the goal with only 1 shot! Yay! Practice does make perfect I guess...well, maybe not perfect, but pretty close!
...and then the dive for my phone!
The other day, Tyson asked me when Walker would start crawling, and I told him that even though Walker has already reached a few milestones before Jake did at this age, I didn't think Walker would be ready to crawl like Jake did this early on. But sure enough this weekend, Walker started using his arms some (and when I say "some," I mean very minimally!) to army crawl to get to things, and he started getting up on his knees into the crawling position! And just like Jake, as soon as he gets into position, he just dives for whatever he is trying to reach...mainly my Blackberry or the remote control! Ha!
Gosh, the thought of two mobile little ones sure makes me nervous! I'm secretly hoping it takes Walker a little longer to put all the steps together to this crawling thing; Jake doesn't quite understand the magnitude of leaving his toys (especially ones with little pieces) on the floor, so I need just a little bit longer to work on that. Plus, this means I have to step up my childproofing game again! Oh well, like it or not, here it comes!



2 comments:
Worth and Tyson tried soccer one year because they were still too young for football. Worth said he didn't get it...that all anyone did was run and kick each other in the shins (this was before shin guards, or at least they didn't use them). And that was the end of that!
I don't think I've ever seen a picture of Walker when he wasn't smiling...guess he knows he's got it pretty good.
Continuing Pendy's comment-And Tyson said that all everbody did was huddle up in a little group and try to kick the ball.
Post a Comment