Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It was Bound to Happen Sooner or Later...

Pre-busted lip pouty Jake
Oh yeah, see the bruise on his bottom lip?


That bruise is from his busted lip on Saturday.

What am I going to do with this child?


Oh what a day it has been. I already had this post in mind, but it couldn't be more fitting for the kind of day that we've had. But before I go there, here is my original "it was bound to happen sooner or later:"

  • Jake got in trouble at school on Monday for the first time since he started a year ago. The teacher didn't tell me about it when I picked the boys up, so I don't know all the details. All I know is what the note said: "Got in trouble for pushing. Responded well to follow-up." My heart was just broken after reading that; my sweet little boy pushed another child? What kind of mom am I? So of course when we got home, I talked to Jake about not pushing other children and keeping our hands to ourselves; I then asked Jake who he hit and he said, "Ryan." I kind of giggled for a minute because I wasn't expecting him to answer me, but he did, and appropriately. And it totally wouldn't surprise me if it was Ryan who he pushed; those boys can fight like cats and dogs sometimes.

Like I said, today has just been one of those days. It started out like a normal morning; we were scheduled to go get Jake's flu shot at his pediatrician's, so I started getting the boys stuff packed to go. Next thing I know, Jake is zooming through the house like a bat out of hell pushing his lawnmower AND RUNS SMACK DAB INTO THE WALL...AT FULL SPEED! It sounded like tree had just landed on my house, no joke. I ran to check on him and his face had immediately swelled up and he had blood gushing from his mouth. At first, I assumed it was just another busted lip, but he just didn't look right. He wouldn't let me look in his mouth, so I grabbed up the boys and decided to head to the pedi a little early. This was my first freak out moment as mom/nurse...it was bound to happen sooner or later. :)

I get both boys strapped into their carseats, hop in the car, but NO STINKING KEYS! Here is my child with a face that resembles a stroke patient AND I HAVE LOCKED MY KEYS INSIDE MY HOUSE!

I freak out briefly and then call my neighbor who I thought had a spare key...no such luck. I call Tyson, but guess what? He's at practice and doesn't have his phone on him. And then I make a desperate call to my neighbor, "Can I please borrow your car?" Long story short, we got both boys loaded up and I was on the way to the pediatrician...a little late of course.

I get to the doctor's office and kindly ask the nurse to look in my son's mouth since he won't let me to make sure he still had all of his teeth. Do you know what she said? "He looks fine" and doesn't even attempt to look in his mouth. Really? Half of his face is droopy/swollen and who even knows what it looks like on the inside!! Jeez! Nurses! :)

Jake survives the flu shot so we head to Chic-Fil-A as a reward. Tyson meets us there with a key to the house and joins us for lunch. I decide to test my patience a little more and allow the boys to play on the playground for a little while after Tyson left.

We get home and I'm getting the boys ready for their naps. I thought it might be a good chance to look in Jake's mouth now that the swelling had gone down some, and he actually let me this time. Oh my gosh! His lip is cut pretty badly and the gum above his incisor is completely split. I called the dentist and have an "emergency appointment" in the morning...apparently Jake might need sutures; the pediatric dentist is in Talledega today but there is a chance we might have to see him tonight. I'm still waiting on the call back from the dentist to see what he wants us to do.

What a day! And it's only 2:45! I guess it was all bound to happen sooner or later!


1 comment:

pcb said...

So Saturday's tumble at Ellie's party was just foreshadowing, huh? Bless his heart (and yours!); hope it heals quickly.