One of my favorite memories as a child was visiting my King Grandparents and feeding the ducks by their house. Granddaddy King would always have a loaf of bread saved up and ready to go as soon as we got there; what a special time that was with my grandparents. I am sad for Jake that he will never get to meet his King great-grandparents, but at least I can honor them by taking Jake to feed the ducks just like they did with me.
Yesterday, Tyson, Jake, and I ventured out to the Hoover Pond to feed the ducks. Like I've said before, Jake isn't really into animals (except dogs), so I thought this would be a good opportunity to show him a real duck. Well, as soon as we pull up, we get approached by this duck that was black and had red herpes-looking-things on his eyes (see pics above); I was so freaked out! It was making this awful noise and kept getting closer and closer! Not to sound dumb, but I actually had to ask Tyson if it was a duck...it looked like a cross between a turkey and a chicken! (Tyson said he thought it had rabies). :) Either way, it was freaking me out, but I didn't want Jake to be afraid, so I pulled myself together and threw some bread farther and farther away from me to get it away. Luckily, it decided to go pester another family after that and left us alone...thank goodness for that because the dern thing bit this man right after it left us!
After the whole rabies-duck thing, Jake was a little hesitant to get near the ducks. I couldn't blame him after what he had just witnessed (the man getting bitten), but he eventually came around. I hope we can make feeding the ducks a pretty regular trip; I'm a little nervous to take Jake by myself after the near attack, so we'll see. Either way, it was just so nice to have that time together the 3 of us.



No comments:
Post a Comment