Today our big boy turned 16 months old! Over these last few weeks, I've really seen a lot of change in him. Of course, his mind is a little sponge, and he totally soaks up everything we say. He is constantly learning new words, making connections, and just overall understanding so much more. Sometimes I catch myself talking to him like he's a big kid, but he gets it! I just love watching the person he's becoming; Tyson looked at me the other day and asked me if Jake was my best friend, and he totally is...other than Tyson of course! :) I just love this little boy!
Right now, Jake is still taking two naps a day for a total of about 3.5 hours and sleeps from 6:30 pm to 7 am. In addition to being a good sleeper, Jake is a hefty eater! He will eat anything I put in front of him, and he definitely loves his fruit! I am so blessed to have a good sleeper and a non-picky eater!
Jake has entered the climbing phase and is getting close to climbing out of his crib. The pediatrician recommended I move him over to a big boy bed because "he's showing signs he ready," but mama's not quite so ready for that! I think we can make it work a little while longer!
Jake LOVES to be outside!! He is all boy and loves any kind of bat, ball, car, truck, etc. As you can tell from the pictures, Jake either has a bat or ball in his hand at any given time. He's also obsessed with things that make loud noises, especially airplanes, which he calls "bee bees" for some reason, and loves trying to find them in the sky.
Jake is saying so many words that I can't keep count any more. If he doesn't know what the word is, he will point to the object, look at you, and ask, "this?" It is so cute!! He's really good at repeating them back and remembering what I said. He's a sponge! The other day we were outside and Jake heard a lawn mower; he thought it was a plane and started saying "bee bee" as he looked around for it. Tyson said, "No that's a lawn mower." Jake said, "lawn mower?" in the most articulate and grown-up way you have ever heard. Ever since then, as soon as Jake hears the sound, he says "lawn mower" and he's dead on everytime.
I'm starting to figure out Jake's personality, and I have no idea where he gets it from! He is definitely still very shy in public, but I think he's just gonna be one of those kids that I would call "an observer." When we're around other kids, Jake tends to stand back, watch the kids, and then slowly start to interact. He doesn't tend to say much when he's around other kids or people, and he doesn't have to be the center of attention. When he does talk, though, it is usually something very important and you listen. Because he's paid such close attention, the second something is out of place (like you lose your shoe, leave a cup somewhere, or drop a cracker), Jake is very quick to pick up on it and he goes on a mission to help you. He is very independent and seems to be very kind and generous for a child his age. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen him take snacks out of his "snack trap" and give them to other kids; this may not seem like a big deal, but it is. I'm awful at sharing food, plus, the way Jake eats, you'd think he wouldn't miss a bite! But Jake always likes to make sure other kids are taken care of. He is such a sweet boy! It will be interesting to see how he turns out!
As usual, I can't remember what else I wanted to say on this post. I'll try to remember next time! :) Oh, as for his aggressive behavior, he is really getting better. Tyson and I tried almost everything you could think of, and we have found that speaking calmly to Jake and explaining to him what he's done wrong works the best along with a lot of positive reinforcement. Crazy, huh? That's a little different from my childhood to say the least! :) Happy 16 month birthday, "Jake Jake!" We love you so much!



No comments:
Post a Comment