Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Potty Training...Take 1


Jake doing his "down...set...hut" pose for y'all!


Our computer is still away being "fixed," but I know that certain grandparents are going into Jake-withdrawal, so I thought I'd give y'all a few updates. I wish I could post more pictures, but I'm borrowing a friend's computer and just couldn't download the hundred-something pictures I've taken the last few days. More pictures later, though, I promise (especially more from Jake's birthday party).



So as the title implies, I tried potty training Jake this week...key word there being tried. I've been reading these books all about potty training and felt really good about it, but I went into it knowing that potty training might not work right now (boys' bladders can take up to 36 months to fully develop). It was worth a shot anyway with baby brother coming in April. Anyways, on Sunday, we put one of Jake's favorite animals "Baby" into big-boy wear and let him roll-play potty training with Baby. He did great, so I felt good about moving on. On Monday, I fed Jake breakfast and put him in big-boy underwear. Every 15-30 minutes, we checked for dryness and rewarded Jake accordingly; I put him on the potty every hour or sooner if needed. He did great that morning and peed in the potty several times and only had 1 accident. That afternoon was a different story, though; he had tons of accidents and only peed in the potty a few times. He did ask to poop, though, and actually did it!


On Tuesday, the same thing; the morning was great with only a few accidents and he actually asked to go "tee tee potty" AND DID. Again, the afternoon was a different story. He was having accidents every 30 minutes; I just couldn't figure it out. I was trying not to show my frustration, but I hadn't slept well the night before (thanks to baby brother) and my back was killing me. Eitherway, Jake could totally read my face and picked up on my frustration. After one of his accidents, he actually apologized and gave me a "big hug." I knew we just needed to give it a rest after that...it just broke my heart seeing him upset for me. So I put a diaper on him called it a day. His bladder is obviously not ready, so we'll try again later. Well, much to my surprise today, Jake asked me to go "tee tee potty" before going to bed, and HE DID IT! I was shocked! I don't think his bladder is mature enough, but he definitely understands the process.


With all this being said, I'm gonna take it slow for a while and let him lead the way. But he sure is cute in the big-boy underwear, isn't he?

No comments: