This is the kid who won the spelling bee, Aiden. Jake was pretty chilled out on stage, don't you think?
Jake's class made him signs. It was precious! His class was the only one that made the signs...Jake thought he was big time. ;)
Jake's turn!
At the very end, the kids all got a Spelling Bee spirit stick for their award.
One of Jake's friend, Callie, showing me her sign.
Jake and his principal, Mr. Dolfi.
This is Jake spelling "yarn" correctly.
This is Jake misspelling "zebra." Please ignore the sounds from the peanut gallery.
Jake won the spelling bee for his class, so competed against the 7 other winners from first grade for the school's spelling bee. Jake ended up getting 3rd place over all after he misspelled "Zebra." I was excited when he was given the word because I knew that it was one he knew, but he got the order wrong and spelled it "Zerba." :( I was heartbroken for him. He said he got nervous and I asked if it was because I was there with the camera in his face, and he said, "yes." Ha! He handled it well, though, and even congratulated the winner without being told to do so. He was actually excited to have gotten 3rd place and get a spirit stick. (Spirit sticks are little patch like sticks that the school sales or gives you, and they are a hot item for the first graders). :)
I am sooooooooo proud of Jake. I'm proud of the way he handled himself after the loss (he's not the most gracious loser), I'm proud of the way he conducted himself on stage (well, other than seeming uninterested), I'm proud of him getting up on stage in front of the whole first grade and speaking, I'm proud of him for studying spelling words over Thanksgiving, and I'm proud of him and his spelling skills. Go Jake!!



1 comment:
Sounds like that home training is paying off! Love that he congratulated the winner. Tell him we are proud of him.
Post a Comment