Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kindergarten Homework

 Math Fluency cards: these are simple addition and subtraction problems that Jake has to have memorized and will be timed on without being able to use counters (i.e. no fingers!)
 Dolch site words: these are about 20-25 site words that he has to have memorized every week (sometimes they get 2 weeks for these).
 Vocabulary words: he has 10 words a week that he gets tested on.  The words (and definitions) are absolutely ridiculous sometimes, but I do what I'm told. ;)
 Timed Reading
 Writing prompt.
 Math homework for tonight.  
 Page 2 of math homework.
And lastly, 20 minutes of reading a day.  I prefer the books on the left, which are scholastic books sight words and phonics.  I find that they are a little easier to read for Jake so he doesn't get frustrated...there are usually only 1 or 2 words per page that he needs help with and the words they use are very repetitive, which helps him learn them.  Not to mention, the easy to read books on the right are considered "baby books" by Jake's standards.

I just had to document Jake's Kindergarten homework because I know one day I'll look back at this and laugh thinking of all the times I said, "He has soooooo much homework!" Hahaha!  Honestly, we spend about an hour a day doing homework...and he's in KINDERGARTEN!  It blows my mind!  I can't imagine what it's going to be like when all 3 are older and doing homework....and much more difficult homework at that.  

Is it just me or does this seem like a lot?  Tyson and I were talking the other day about what we remember from Kindergarten, and I said I remember learning my letters.  Well, these days, not only are you expected to know your letters by Kindergarten, but you're expected to know how to write them and how they are pronounced.  It's craziness.  Then again, Jake learned to read a lot earlier than I did and definitely a lot earlier than Tyson did.  Hahaha!

2 comments:

pcb said...

Oh, my, I haven't thought about the Dolch sight words in forever!

An hour seems like way too much time for a kindergartener (and his mother) to have to spend on homework. I remember looking forward to third grade so I would have homework! Kindergarten was for learning numbers, letters, and colors; first grade was all about Dick and Jane and simple math. Somehow we all learned how to read and calculate, though.

Jill Mc said...

I've missed your blogging so much! I'm glad to hear things are calming down... at least for now. :)

Love you guys!

JT